Anyone redesigning their kitchen, bathroom, or storage space would want to keep costs low, especially when on a budget. However, staying under the price limit can seem challenging when the low-cost options don’t add much to the space. How can you make your rooms fashionable without burning through your wallet?
At Current Cabinetry, we specialize in building custom cabinets in Baltimore, MD, for indoor and outdoor spaces. As you search for the perfect design, perhaps you’ve seen Shaker cabinets and wondered, “Are Shaker cabinets expensive?” Here, we’ll explain what could alter the cost of your custom cabinets and how Shakers could mesh with your design ideas.
What Are Shaker Cabinets?
Shaker cabinets come from the designs built by the Shakers – an off-shoot group from the Quakers – in the 1800s. One of the oldest cabinet styles in the United States includes Shakers, which use vertical stiles, horizontal rails, and a recessed center panel.
Modern Shaker cabinet doors may feature thinner or “skinny” stiles and rails, elevated center panels, or additional beveling. However, the most popular Shaker cabinets often keep the simplistic, age-old design seen in farmhouse-style kitchens. Consulting with a cabinetry design expert can help you customize this cabinet style to any space on your property.
The Pros of Shaker Cabinets
Shaker-style cabinets have many benefits, especially when compared to other modern cabinet styles.
Because of its simplistic design, Shaker cabinets can work as a canvas for your kitchen, bathroom, or storage space. When asking, “Are Shaker cabinets expensive,” it partially depends on how you customize them. You can choose their colors, hardware, and stile or rail size to build your space however you want.
Trendy and Timeless
Artistic minimalism started in the 1960s and has since continued to shift how we view architecture, art, and even advertising in the 21st century. Although the original Shakers and their building styles began long before the 1900s, the minimalistic design fits into futuristic trends. Shaker cabinets can adapt whether you want a simple, country-style space or an ultra-modern area focused on sleek structures and technical function.
Because Shaker cabinet doors lack numerous curves and crevices, the door tends to be more damage-resistant. While more difficult than flat-surface cabinet doors, cleaning them does not require excessive scrubbing or paintwork. Compared to doors you can get with designs etched into them, Shakers require substantially less maintenance.
Moreover, because most manufacturers make Shaker kitchen doors with solid wood, you can expect them to last a long time. Many custom builders can also make them with medium-density fiberwood or plywood.
How Can You Tell How Expensive a Cabinet Is?
Are Shaker cabinets expensive? In general, you should always ask for a quote on any custom cabinet you want. The price depends on several factors, though the design type does contribute to potential costs:
- Materials: Higher-quality building materials will generally cost more than lower-quality versions. However, furniture made with high-quality materials tends to last longer, meaning higher upfront costs but potentially lower lifetime expenses.
- Maintenance Costs: While cheaper materials may seem less expensive, you should consider maintenance costs. If you need to spend a lot of time, energy, and money keeping the cabinets in top shape, it may be more expensive over time.
- Labor Costs: Each custom cabinet company has its own pricing. Expenses may include the cost of obtaining the materials, payment for the time spent constructing the cabinet, and more. Generally, you can only get this information with a quote from the company.
- Design Complexity: The more effort a custom builder must put into the cabinet’s construction, the more you can expect it to cost. For example, a slab cabinet door may cost less than a Shaker, which may cost less than an arched, decorative panel door.
With these points in mind, you can expect Shakers to be cheaper than many other types of cabinets.
Although custom builders often use high-quality materials for Shaker cabinets, the simplistic design lowers labor expenses. You also won’t need to put in excessive effort to maintain them, reducing the overall cost of Shaker cabinets.
Design Your Top-Quality Custom Shaker Cabinets Today
Current Cabinetry designers help you make the popular Shaker-style cabinets of your dreams. Baltimore home and business owners love our reasonable prices and rely on us to never sacrifice quality for quantity. We fit each design with slow-close doors and drawers, finishing each with premium-grade paint and stains to suit desired interior or exterior styles.
If you have a strict budget and are wondering, “Are Shaker cabinets expensive?” look no further. Call Current Cabinetry at 410-609-7077 or visit our contact page to request a free design and quote today!
- Are Shaker Cabinets Expensive? - November 18, 2023
- A Complete Guide to the Most Popular Shaker-Style Cabinets - November 18, 2023
- Why High-Pressure Laminate Countertops Are the Go-To Choice Among Homeowners - October 11, 2023